5.29.2012

Before I Forget

First of all, is it normal to have the symptoms of a mid-life crisis when you're eighteen?

Anyway...

The day before my eighteenth birthday, I spent all morning and afternoon helping a friend with a short film for a video contest. When I came home my brothers were watching "Hook", a version of Peter Pan. I sat down and watched the end with them, only to find myself overcome with a feeling of intensely bittersweet nostalgia.

I literally started crying in the last scenes when they leave Neverland and return back home. My dad walked in when the mom embraces them, and jokingly said, "No crying!" as I made my best effort to inconspicuously wipe away the moisture from around my eyes.


I'm officially eighteen years old. And {as cheesy as this may sound} I've left Neverland. I know that I'm not going to immediately transform into different girl, but throughout the next few years and probably for the rest of my life, I will change. And I'll grow up.

I once heard someone describe life until high school graduation as traveling along railroad tracks: following the existing railways with each milestone, birthday, and school year. Although I've certainly experienced challenges along the way that have shaped who I am, the path has been pretty clear, simple, and relatively stress-free.

I think of the new responsibilities accompanied with growing up. College. Bills. A job. Eventually a family. The carefree days of childhood dependency are quickly coming to a close. And that's what I mean by leaving Neverland.


But today, as I sit at home all alone for a couple hours, I felt an overwhelming wave of gratitude and peace in an incredibly moving and personal way that is difficult to explain.


I have so many anchors keeping me where I need to be in my life. I thought of how I'm going to lose a lot of friends as we go our separate ways, how people will really come and go for the next few years. But then I think about my mom and dad, and how much I know they care about me. I feel so much comfort in knowing that I can always talk to them and draw upon their strength, help, counsel, and advice. While I'll miss seeing them every day, I'm so glad I to know that they will always, always be there.

I felt peace about my future. You know what? I might get married when I'm nineteen. I might get married when I'm twenty-seven. I might have one child. I might have seven. I might go on to be a nurse practitioner or physician's assistant after I receive my degree in nursing. I might get cancer and die before I'm thirty. My kids might all have disabilities. Something unexpected might happen to my brothers and sisters. I might be a Relief Society president. I might be a substitute nursery leader. I might be called to work in the library. I might never marry. I might have the opportunity to serve a mission. I might have quadruplets. I might live in a third world country. I might live in a big, frightening, busy city. I might live in the countryside.


It doesn't matter! Regardless of where I am, who I am surrounded by, or what happens to me, I can only control me. And that is a beautiful gift. I can be as kind, loving, obedient, faithful, and spiritually-in-tune as I choose to be. And everything will always be ok.


I love moments of inspiration.


(And I do promise to throw in some shorter posts, eventually.)


Enjoy the summer!

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Hi Jessica, it's Brittany Richman. I guess you could say I've been blog stalking you. :)

I just had to comment on this post because it hit home with me. I remember feeling the exact same way when I graduated from high school (and even more so when I graduated from college, which is another story entirely).

Luckily, you are much wiser than I was at your age. If you were a younger version of me I'd say "Relax and take a deep breath. Don't fear the future--embrace it! The best years are ahead!" But it appears you are in tune enough to already have that figured out and because of that you'll do very well with whatever life throws at you and with whatever decisions you make.

P.S. I also cry every time I watch Hook--love that movie (I'm old enough to remember seeing it in the theater when it first came out)!

Ashley said...

I sort if really like your longer posts. Beautiful Jess!

The Borden Family said...

Ok...first of all, How did we miss knowing it was your birthday? Ugh! So sorry....but, Yay Happy Late Birthday! I cried at 18 too but, that's cuz I was alreay gone from home and the realities of real life were in my face. But, let me tell you....there are many more reasons to cry when you turn 40 and most of those "might"s have turned into "done"s. I have loved watching you "grow up" from a bit of a distance. I saw so much of your brilliance when I'd first pick you up to babysit my kids. Some of the most entertaining, fun conversations I've ever had with a teen-ager were those with you. Thanks for sharing part of your heart. And Yes! Everything will always be ok.