I did something a little scary for me last week. I gave blood. The Medic Regional Blood Center came to my high school and asked for volunteers. When I dreamed about being sixteen, donating blood honestly never crossed my mind, but I'm grateful that I'm old enought now to spare a pint for someone who really needs it.
I've never passed out or vomited from seeing blood, but I don't particularly enjoy the sight of it either. I especially don't like watching gory movies. It makes me shudder when people bleed.
I decided to be brave though.
I felt nervous while I was waiting for my name to be called. Not nauseous or queasy --just nervous. I was glad to see some familiar faces when it was finally my turn. The girl next to me made me feel better. She was really honest. She said it hurts when the doctor puts the needle in, and she told him she was going to drop kick him. She said that after the needle is in, it's just a matter of waiting. I felt silly for being afraid.
The whole process was interesting to me. I even lifted the gauze off my arm for a second to see the thick needle stuck in my skin. It was fascinating.
I looked at the center's website later, and I felt like crying when I saw pictures of babies, children, and others who have received blood transfusions, platelets, or plasma. I didn't know that platelets can be used to treat cancer patients. My Aunt Jo, my sweet little cousin Rachel, my mom's cousin's wife Desi, my first grade teacher, young women leaders, and other people in my life have been affected by cancer. I'm grateful that I could give just a tiny fraction of my own body to help those who are faced with physical afflictions. I'm definitely donating again next time.
3 comments:
Good for you! Not only will you be blessed for this service, but someone will be very richly blessed by your service.
I wimp out and use the excuse of a low platelet count which I had years ago but am not really sure if it has changed!
AAH! Part of the reason why I'm counting down until I'm 16 is so I can give blood...but I heard that you have to weigh 120 pounds...hopefully I gained enough from Thanksgiving so I can donate...or I just should gain muscle weight...YEAH! ;)
Post a Comment