I still can't believe that I really did it last weekend.
First off, I have never, ever considered myself an athlete in any way shape or form. I often laugh when I think about my first experience with sports (at five-ish years old). My parents signed me up for soccer, and at first I'm sure I was excited. But then I ended up chasing butterflies and picking flowers during the games. I just never really got into the competition, ya know? I preferred other things. Like music, art, reading, writing (obviously).
But going to college changed things for me.
I started running with my awesome friend Megan. And let me just say that was in the cold winter months of Rexburg, Idaho. Talk about COLD! Although we mostly ran in the indoor track at first...
We would go through neighborhoods and around campus, and it was always an adventure. We went at a pace that we could talk. And after the first few times, which were hard, I loved it. I didn't even think about the physical exertion of it all. It was just fun. But I did notice a marked difference in my mood and energy when I was frequently exercising.
I had seen inspiring videos, pictures, and stories before, so while at school I thought, "Hmm... When I go back home this fall, I think I could actually do Ragnar!"
And then it began.
Coming home and training on my own was a battle all on its own. I was so used to going with one of my best friends in the whole universe (not exaggerating!). And on top of that, in the craziness of getting settled back at home and then having a nasty sinus infection for like two weeks, I didn't run at all. It took some real adjusting to motivate myself.
But I did it.
![]() |
| Our team name was "SuperFriends". So fun! I went as Black Canary. (Obscure, I know. Not a ton of choices for the ladies.) |
One of the best parts of the whole experience with this race was having so many awesome team members.
This picture is missing two girl runners, but I was so grateful to be with such awesome women! I loved how much we cheered each other on during our individual legs of the race. I felt so much love and support, and it was fun to give that to everyone else too. These are women I would turn to for dating advice, call when I don't know how to be a parent someday, ask how to choose a major, etc. It was awesome to have fun and spend some individual time with them because they totally rock in every way!
During certain parts of the weekend, I questioned my sanity in choosing to be a part of this race. I came face to face (foot to face?) with mean little dog. No, I didn't kick him! But I thought about it when he wasn't backing off. Getting three hours of sleep was rough. I guess I've adjusted to post Freshman college life! Especially when we had to get up and start our vans legs again at 5:00 AM, I felt like this was a bad choice. I need my sleep. Miraculously I was still able to be pleasant after a couple hours of being quietly (grumpily) awake.
Some of my favorite Ragnar moments:
1. A team member suggested that we should have a team cheer, "I dunno. Something like, super, super, .... super!" Hilariously simple, but it totally stuck!
2. Our awesome team captain brought some yogurt-covered pretzels to share. They were delicious, and they also fell in the grass (we brushed 'em off. they were fine, right?) and dumped out of every place we put them in the car. It was the never ending story of spilling pretzels.
3. During my last leg, the girls cheered me on by making jokes about boys who would be impressed. I felt a little embarrassed and bashful, but what wouldn't I do for an awesome cute boy?? Well, actually, there's a lot I wouldn't do. But the motivation worked!!
4. The last afternoon, all the ladies who came with husbands stood up through the sun roof of our van and cheered on their men. It was the cutest thing ever!
5. The "baton" to pass off to the next teammate is actually a bright orange slap bracelet. I was pretty excited about that part. Slap bracelets were so the thing back in elementary school. I couldn't wait to slap that thing on my teammate at the end of my leg! But, it was a complete and utter fail the first time. I finally had to just wrap it around my teammate's wrist because slapping was not a go.
6. Slapping that bracelet on well the next time was a happy moment for me!
7. Finishing!
![]() |
| I have no idea who I was looking at. It appears that they were being judged! |
I feel the need to share some other things about exercising in general, running in particular.
I don't run because I want to be skinny.
I don't run because I feel the need to impress people.
I don't run because I'm obsessed with being fit.
I don't run because I feel peer pressure.
I don't run to burn calories.
I don't run to torture myself.
I run because of what it does for me mentally and emotionally. Some of you know that I have been really struggling with major depression and a touch of anxiety for several months. I am still in the middle of finding the right treatment and therapy. I don't know how long exactly I have been dealing with it, and I don't know how much longer I will. But I do know this. While several other things are contributing factors to my specific symptoms and triggers, exercise works miracles for me.
I could get into the science of endorphins and all that (believe me, I've done tons of research), but exercise is really, really excellent therapy for confidence building and joy.
When I run, I pray to my Heavenly Father. While I love music, I actually don't really ever listen to it while running. I clear my mind and try to think of positive things. I ask for angels to give me the strength I need. It is wonderful to have those experiences and remember them during exceptionally hard moments of everyday life.
And man oh man, it sure gave me a fantastic feeling of accomplishment when I crossed those finish lines last weekend.
Running Ragnar is one of the best decisions I've made this year.
I have also chosen not to serve an 18-month mission for my church at this time. Life is never perfect, but I love the experiences I'm having at home with my family right now, and I am so excited to greet my college friends again and make new ones when I go back to school in January.
Ok, thank you for reading this whole thing! Have a fantastic week! Find every reason you can to laugh and smile! Happy Halloween! I love you all!
P.S. I recommend reading or watching this for more understanding on depression.







3 comments:
Congratulations on such a great accomplishment-the Ragnar! I love that I have such a fantastic example for my girls of finding joy in the big and little things in life. You are awesome!
What a great post! Ragnar has some awesome memories...I was SO glad you ran this year Jessica, you did GREAT!!
Aww I loveeee love love this! When I run, I pray too!!! It is soooo nice because my mind is usually clearer and I can feel closer to Heavenly Father. LOVE IT. So glad you got to run Ragnar!
Post a Comment