I'm sure that's the question many of you would ask themselves when it comes to me and serving a full-time mission for my church.
I would probably feel the same if I wasn't me.
I've had experiences that felt like answers to I should go forth and serve. I've mentioned some of them here on my blog.
But, as I've discussed before, I just can't make up my mind about it.
I know that the decisions I make during this time of my life can and probably will greatly impact my entire future.
Um, yikes!!!
I feel like I am at a giant crossroads where I could go in so many different directions. And the hardest part is that it isn't really a matter of right or wrong.
After all the thought and energy I've put forth in trying to receive a confirmation from my Heavenly Father, I think what I feel overall is that really the choices are mine to make.
There are three different ways the Lord usually answers my prayers, and I think in this case the decisions are up to me and what I desire.
Some challenges I'm experiencing have caused me to feel that maybe I can't serve a mission. Could I really do it? Could I handle the rigor and work that is required? Can I rise to that call? And thinking realistically about my personal weaknesses, could I wake up every morning and have the energy to press forward? Would it all be too overwhelming?
And the alternative directions I could take if I don't go on a mission would be focusing on my education, or maybe falling in love and getting married (I'm just saying, it's possible!).
If I end up staying home and going back to school to pursue my education, I feel nervous about that as well. Do I really feel right about my major? How concerned should I be about getting a job right out of college? How am I going to pay for everything? What am I really trying to get out of my education? Is college even the right path for me if 53% of recent graduates are unemployed or working in an area where their degree isn't required or valuable?
I know that the greatest mission I have on this earth is the opportunity to be a mother. Obviously a worthy husband has to come along before that. That brings a whole new swarm of questions, doubts, worries, and fears. If I were presented with the choice right now, do I feel confident that I could be a good wife? Could I care for a family? Can I be trusted with the sacred responsibility of motherhood? Could I cope with all the challenges and work of family life? Am I responsible enough?
Am I good enough?
It's hard to struggle with these questions.
But one of the main reasons I chose to go back home this fall is so that I can clear my head and focus on the things that matter.
My health (emotional, mental, physical, spiritual) and faith have to come first.
And so, my friends, I think it is just going to take me some more time.
3 comments:
I have no doubt that whatever pathway you choose, the people with whom you associate will be so blessed just because you are you. Good luck in all of the decision making, and I will be praying for you! ALWAYS!
I love you Jessica! You remind me so much of myself. Here is my advice:
1-You ARE good enough!
2-Stop micro-managing your future.
3-Make a decision that you feel good about right now and move forward with it. There is no way to know what the job market will be or if you will meet your future husband.
4-You can always make adjustments as you have more experiences that sharpen your perspective. The key is to keep moving forward.
5-Trust your gut.
Navigating our path in life can be one of the hardest things. You got the right thinking though. Sometimes God is pleased with both paths we could take. Right idea pondering and praying about it. Things will work out as you DO YOUR BEST to follow the gospel. Some people are hard on themselves, but as long as you are doing your best to do what is right and follow the gospel that is all that is required.
Post a Comment