Guess what?
My cousin Brittany is having a baby, that's what.
We are four years apart, and no cousins were born between us.
A highlight of my summer used to be staying at her family's house,
because I knew she would definitely give me an awesome make-over.
We'd usually sleep in the same room and talk way past my bedtime.
It was like Christmas when a new box
of her cute hand-me-downs was delivered to our doorstep.
We've always been best buds at reunions, and I've always adored her.
But she's having a baby, which got me to thinking about life --specifically mine.
Yesterday was the seniors last day.
I didn't realize how much seniors filled my school
until I walked into the emptied cafeteria.
I won't ever see some friends in the halls again.
One of my classes is half the size now.
The senior parking lot is empty.
As I sat outside during lunch in the warm Tennessee sunshine
watching the seniors traditionally drive around the school 11 times (class of 2011...get it?)
before driving away for good,
I realized with a tempting sense of denial
and overwhelming shock that my friends and I are the new seniors.
In Elementary and Middle School,
I remember just wishing more than anything to be older, more mature,
prettier, taller, more sure of myself, cooler.
I don't wish that so much right now.
This year, one of my class members passed away in a tragic car accident.
Kara is among one of the most bubbly, friendly, happy people I've ever met.
Our class really came together with her passing,
and I think we felt just a little more aware of the loved ones in our lives.
I know that I am.
I'm realizing that my days at my physical home are numbered.
I don't want to think about it.
Neverland is real, right?
I just want to go there with my family,
and be us right now forever.
I'm teary just writing this.
But I think that it's important to accept what is in the very near future.
I think it's good and healthy to embrace the approaching close of my childhood.
There just isn't any time for complaining, fighting, procrastinating, arguing, judging, wasting, forgetting, missing out, or any of the like.
Brittany's having a baby, I'm going to be a senior,
and my family members are the most important people in my life.
And hey, the Gospel is true.
Everything will be alright.
This remaining one year at home is going to be the best yet.
4 comments:
sniff, sniff....yep, it's all true.
Wow. Perspective. You are growing up beautifully.
You have a lovely way with words. It is a very special time you are going to experience. Big changes are coming up and I don't think things ever stop changing. But life is a fun ride and I know you will do a wonderful job on whatever paths you take! Happy Senior Year! :-)
I love your thoughts Jess. As the oldest your the first to go...I remember watching Brock and the older siblings in our family leave and wishing we could just go back to being all together, safe and secure. It's hard watching family leave just as hard as preparing to leave.
Make the most of this year! Con't wait to see you guys in June!
aSHLEY
Post a Comment